Do you remember the last time you had direct contact with the earth? Until I heard about the concept of Earthing or Grounding, this thought never crossed my mind. The good feeling you get after walking on the beach, planting flowers in your garden, or taking a walk in a creek can be scientifically validated.
The earth maintains a negative electrical charge. When our bodies have direct contact with the surface of the earth, they become grounded, conducting electrons through the surface until our bodies have potentially the same charge as the earth. Electrons from the earth have antioxidant effects which benefit the body in numerous ways.
Our modern way of life has placed barriers between us and the surface of the earth, eliminating the natural benefits our ancestors enjoyed. Whether it's asphalt, plastic, rubber or wood, our societies infrastructure prevents us from experiencing contact with the earth which can negatively impact our health. Grounding balances the electrical charge in our bodies, promoting optimal health.
I'm not advocating living in the woods and completely abandoning all our modern luxuries, but if you can't remember the last time your bare feet or hands touched the surface of the earth, the following 10 reasons should provide some encouragement for you to practice earthing.
- Earthing supplies your body with essential electrons with antioxidant properties.
- Positively charged molecules such as reactive oxygen species (ROS) that fight bacteria need to be neutralized or they diffuse into healthy tissue.
- The antioxidants from the earth's electrons protect your body from inflammation.
- Reducing inflammation in the body can slow down the aging process.
- Grounding has favorable physiological effects on the body that optimize health.
- Earthing reduces your voltage, helping to neutralize the positive molecules in your body.
- People who practice earthing are more relaxed and less stressed and fatigued.
- Earthing can negate the electromagnetic fields created by our electronics and infrastructure that throw off our bodies electrical charge.
- Earthing can provide couples, parents and their kids, as well as friends with a bonding opportunity.
- Being outdoors and unplugging from our connected lives will not only balance your bodies electrical charge, it will also help balance other aspects of your life.
I encourage you to give earthing a try and decide for yourself whether it has legitimate health benefits or it's more based on theory rather than fact. Maybe start slow by planting flowers, letting the dirt sift through your fingers. (Ladies, you can keep those nails dirt free by rubbing them on a bar of soap to prevent dirt from accumulating under them!) If you're feeling more ambitious, kick those shoes off and walk on your lawn, take a stroll along a lake, or have a picnic with the grass as your blanket.
If you still have reservations about practicing earthing due to time constraints, fear of injury, or cleanliness, modern science has developed a way to bring the outdoors inside your home. You can now earth with the help of earthing products while watching television, sleeping, or doing chores! These include earthing shoes, earthing beds, earthing pads, and other products designed to recreate the natural benefits of earthing.
Although this technology further isolates us from the outside world and gives us another excuse to stay inside, it is a good alternative to the real thing. Check out the video below to learn more about earthing technology.
For a more detailed explanation of how earthing works, read Dr. Mercola's article.